Monday, October 25, 2010

Family Time!!!!!!!

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."  -- Desmond Tutu

I've always wished I was a part of those families where every Sunday they get together and have a big meal, talk about memories, and recap each others weeks. I used to think only TV families did that. I promised myself when I had a family, I would start that tradition. One that would last even when they were older and living on their own.

As you get older, you start to value family more. I'm beginning to learn on a day to day basis that NO ONE is going to love me like they do, and because of that I'm making an effort to spend more time with my lovely familia!

Yesterday I visited my aunt, uncle and 3 younger cousins for some Sunday Funday excitement! My aunt is a bigggggg cooking motivation for me. There's rarely a time I visit that she's NOT cooking for her family, and everything is deeeeeeelicious. I love her ability to take ingredients that you would not think of making together, and turn it into an amazing meal! It's nothing extravagant either, just very simple but delectable dishes. Proving, sometimes simplicity is better!

She made shrimp scampi over Spanish rice, with string beans and platano maduros (sweet plantains). It was a Yumfest!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Here she is preparing the shrimp. Reason #1 why I hate cooking shrimp - cleaning them!! Yuck! I'm glad she took this mission on :-)


Maduros ready to be cooked!!! Cook them in oil and sprinkle some brown sugar over them. Yum! Reason #456 why I love being Puerto Rican - Having these bad boys with a meal!


Yum! Spanish rice waiting to be eaten...BY ME!!


Shrimp Scampi! I believe she added a little chicken broth, butter, garlic and oregano. So simple, yet sooo delicious!

String beans! She cooked them in chicken broth with a ham hock and salt, pepper and garlic for taste.


TaDa!! The finished product right before I happily devoured it. :-) And of course no meal is complete for me without my glass of wine.
Do you have any family traditions? Or want to share any of your favorite family recipes/meals!? I would love to know :-)

3 comments:

  1. This just made my tummy growl! I am ready for lunch time, now if only this meal was my lunch!!!

    I cant believe your aunt put brown sugar on her platanos!! That sounds amazing!

    My family actually does the Sunday dinner thing. its nice and really helps keep us all connected. As you know, over a meal is the best way to socialize!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I know! I really wish there were left overs to take.

    Yes, brown sugar brings out the sweetness even more!

    Im uber jealous of your Sunday meals!! lol Cherish that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food looks great! You are so right family is extremely important :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love your feedback! Please share your thoughts or ideas =)